Thursday, 30 June 2016

A couple of firsts and one last

Getting back on track with training after just a couple of weeks off was much harder than expected. Likely not helped by the fact I decided to celebrate my first weekend back with back-to-back rides including a 100-mile round trip to the Blue Egg.

Rolling out with Cycle Club Hackney

Becoming a member of a local cycling club is without a doubt one of the best ways to sustain a long term training plan. Last weekend, a group of CCH ladies headed out to Cambridge (I've surprisingly never been before) on a very pleasant 60 mile route through the Essex, Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire countryside. It's an ideal route if you're looking for something flat and fast (or in our case, moderately paced!) and incorporates yet another fantastic tea room in the March Hare.

The next day, full of energy and keen to get my training back on track, I optimistically joined the CCH club ride - leaving Hackney at 8am to head east to the famous Blue Egg cafe (another first!). It all seemed like a great idea until I realised that I hadn't taken into account one fairly crucial point: I can't actually cycle faster than 15mph. And I definitely can't keep up with competitive club riders. The result was an exhausting 50 miles trailing behind the club followed by 50 miles dragging myself home at what could not have been more than walking pace.

The Blue Egg cafe, a cycling favourite

London Cycle Sportive

Undeterred by the previous weekend's disasters, I signed up to the London Cycle Sportive last Sunday - my first chance to follow in the footsteps of cycling legends, snaking up Box Hill. The thing they don't warn you about sportives (or at least, the thing I didn't know) is that they are quite competitive. It turns out that if you sign up to the 110 mile course, you're supposed to be pretty nippy. This is no family-friendly London Revolution.

Luckily for me, I was not the only slow coach to attempt the long route. By the end of the day, I was part of a group (the last group...) of around 20-30 cyclists huffing and puffing our way up and around the Surrey Hills and commenting on the excellent selection of snacks at the feed stations (potatoes!).

Feeling pretty pleased with myself after 6,000 ft of climbs

Relive.cc

A little side note. I've just discovered this great little plug-in for Strava, which enables you to re-live your ride virtually. Great fun!


Lessons learnt

  • It's OK to challenge yourself. Maybe one day I'll be able to keep up with the CCH club team, but for now I'm just going to keep trying!
  • Eating and drinking correctly is SO important. When I look at the difference between the Blue Egg ride and the Sportive, it's no surprise that I couldn't drag myself home that first weekend. Don't ever underestimate the need for sustinence. 
  • It's OK to be last. I mean, hopefully I won't be so slow that I'll be picked up by the Ride Across Britain broom wagon, but I intend to find a group I'm comfortable in, and stick with it.
  • Box Hill is really not that bad! There are far worse climbs in Surrey, especially the far from enjoyable Pitch Hill. 
  • Keep it up. Even when you can't get on your bike - maintaining a constant training schedule is pretty essential (I learnt the hard way!).

June Highlights



Please sponsor me and support Supercharge ParalympicsGB, helping inspire a new generation to take up disability sport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment