Friday, 22 July 2016

Tour de Essex

50 days to go. Into the home straight and there's no turning back now. I'm still somewhere between genuine excitement and absolute terror... but either way I can't wait (for it to be over!). 

This week also incidentally marked 50 days until the start of the Paralympic Games in Rio, and saw the launch of the "We're the Superhumans" trailer, which has received huge acclaim over social media (it's worth a watch if you haven't yet seen it). It does put my poor excuse for training into some perspective. 

Rapha 100 and other stories

As much as possible, these last few weeks will be about getting out for multiple consecutive rides. This weekend was no exception and I tied Saturday's ride in with a trip to visit a friend in Colchester, as part of my two-day Tour de Essex. Cue absolute sweltering temperatures, warm water bottles and terrible tanlines. 

Writtle. A classic cyclist pitstop.

Sunday was all about the Rapha Women's 100. Hackney CC joined up with Islington ladies to arrange an 100km route into Essex and beyond, pausing for lunch in Hatfield Heath. I bravely offered to chaperone the 'steady' group. Brave because (a) until not too long ago, I could barely take my hand off the handlebars to indicate, let alone point out potholes; and (b) because, quitely frankly, I'm not sure anyone should trust me to navigate a group of 20 cyclists on a route I'd never ridden before. 

Rapha 100 - Just a few of 'my' steady group riders

Supported by some far more competent cyclists than I, we somehow made it all the way to Hatfield Heath; and no-one overshot the steep downhill right turn (phew). I even competently dealt with a puncture (luckily only the one). The return leg was an ideal time to test out my cycle selfie skills; although - as the group will attest - my momentary lapse in concentration did almost cause me to take 10 riders down a wrong turn. I don't think I'll be called up for chaperoning duties again any time soon...

Mastering the cycle selfie: the ultimate RAB test

Six week checklist

With a little over six weeks to go until Ride Across Britain, the seasoned cyclist might now be just starting to think about a training plan. For the not-so-seasoned cyclist, here's a little of what's left on my "to do" list:

  • Buy a new saddle. It's getting serious now. Boardmans are great entry level road bikes, don't get me wrong. But anyone who has tried sitting on the Boadman saddle for more than about 60 miles will feel my pain.
  • Buy new bib shorts. Two sets is not enough for nine days. And while we're on that: invest in chammois cream. 
  • Source a suitable rucksack and make a packing list. Check it all fits. 
  • Complete some serious consecutive riding days
  • Hit 100 miles again. And again. And maybe a third time. 

Please sponsor me and support Supercharge ParalympicsGB, helping inspire a new generation to take up disability sport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment